Below are excepts and web links to articles, letters and press releases about the status of the Maryland PTA and its relations with the National PTA.
- New State PTA Created After Maryland PTA Shut Down (NBCWashington, May 26, 2021)
- National PTA disbands the Maryland PTA, but the state organization says they won’t acknowledge decision (Baltimore Sun, March 26, 2021)
- Maryland PTA Seeks Injunction to Stop Reorganization By National Officials (Maryland Matter, September 16, 2020)
- Maryland PTA’s ‘Open Letter’ to Maryland PTA Members (Maryland PTA, September 3, 2020): “By now, I am sure you have heard of the legal action against National PTA and hopefully have read the Maryland PTA 2019-2020 Annual Report. I have received your comments, questions, and concerns about the legal action, but interestingly, I got no feedback about the condition of our 105-year-old organization. To say the least, Maryland PTA did not take the decision to initiate legal action against its parent organization lightly. However, the aggressive action and refusal to compromise in the face of misrepresentations and exaggerations without an objective review left us few options.”
- Maryland PTA Files Injunction to Stop National PTA’s Restructuring Efforts Re The Maryland PTA (Capital-Gazette, September 2, 2020): “The Maryland PTA has filed an injunction against its parent organization, seeking to block the National PTA’s plan to restructure the statewide affiliate due to high turnover on its board caused by “hostile” leadership. The National PTA announced it was restructuring the Maryland group last week, after it fell out of compliance with the organization’s “Standards of Affiliation,” according to letters obtained by The Baltimore Sun. Restructuring means the National PTA can assist the Maryland PTA in electing new leaders. It also gives the national group access to Maryland PTA funds and records, as well the ability to arrange an audit.”
- Maryland PTA Asks for Restraining Order and Injunctive Relief From National PTA Restructuring Plan (Maryland PTA, September 2, 2020): “The Maryland PTA asked the Anne Arundel Circuit Court for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against National PTA to stop the planned restructuring of the organization.”
- National PTA to Restructure Maryland PTA After Accusations of ‘Hostile’ Leadership and High Turnover on Board (BaltimoreSun.com, August 27, 2020): “The National PTA announced it will restructure its Maryland affiliate after putting the group on probation earlier this year due to high turnover on its board caused by “hostile” leadership that prevented members from performing their duties.
- Maryland PTAs Can’t Meet Remotely Unless State Group Meets in Person to Change Rules (NBCWashington.com, August 11, 2020): “The Maryland PTA says that under the current bylaws, members have to meet in person to vote on elections or official business. To change the bylaws, a statewide delegation would have to meet and vote to amend them. That has many parents furious and filing complaints with the National PTA.”
- Maryland PTA Reprimanded, Put on Probation (NBCWashington.com, August 5, 2020): “The Maryland PTA has been reprimanded and placed on probation by the National Parent-Teacher Association, the News4 I-Team learned. The state PTA is accused of a series of violations of organization standards and has been the subject of complaints from a large majority of local PTA leaders in the state, according to documents obtained by the I-Team. Among the complaints leveled against the Maryland PTA is the condoning of rude and disrespectful behavior against local PTA members and leaders.”