- ➡️ Please contact event organizers and/or venues prior to attendance for possible ‘event attendance’ limitations, safety/protection requirements, date changes or cancellations due to the COVID-19/coronavirus pandemic.
- ➡️ Events listed are primarily for adults and/or teens. Please review event descriptions or contact event organizers for audience details.
- ➡️ Maryland schools and buildings will remain closed through the rest of the 2019-2020 academic school year. Events that were scheduled at MCPS schools and buildings will either be postponed or cancelled.
- ➡️ ‘Virtual’ Events are events that will be held ONLINE ONLY. Check event details for access information. Note: Some virtual events start at different coast or international times (Pacific, Central, Greenwich Mean, etc.). The virtual event times listed on this website have been converted to New York/Eastern Standard Time.
- This event has passed.
MCPS Fiscal Year 2021 Operating Budget 2021 Hearings (MCPS Board of Education)
January 13 - January 15
Hearings will be held on Monday, January 13, 2020, and on Wednesday, January 15, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. at Carver Educational Services Center Auditorium in Rockville, MD.
➡️FYI to the Blair High School Community from Frances Frost, Vice President – Advocacy, Blair PTSA:
➡️NOTE: Information below is from the Montgomery County Public Schools of Maryland (MCPS)’s ‘Public Participation‘ webpage.
Interested in providing testimony to the Board of Education concerning the superintendent’s recommended Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 Operating Budget?
The superintendent of schools released his recommended FY 2021 Operating Budget on December 18, 2019. Hearings will be held on Monday, January 13, 2020, and on Wednesday, January 15, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. at Carver Educational Services Center Auditorium, 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD.
Beginning on Thursday, December 19, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., individuals wishing to testify during the January 13 or January 15, 2020, hearing session must register online. CLICK HERE to register.
Individuals registering to speak may reserve only one space. (Opportunity to sign up for the hearing on Monday, January 13, 2020, ceased on Thursday, January 9, 2020, at 9:00 a.m., and sign-ups for the hearing on Wednesday, January 15, 2020, will cease on Monday, January 13, 2020, at 9:00 a.m.)
You do not need to sign up to attend and observe the hearings. Each speaker will receive three minutes to provide testimony. (Please note: The three minute time limit applies to all speakers, except for elected officials, designated cluster representatives, and designated union/association representatives, who will each have five minutes to testify.)
Each speaker is requested to provide the written testimony no later than listed below:
For the January 13, 2020, hearing, please submit testimony no later than 12:00 p.m. January 13, 2020.
For the January 15, 2020, hearing, please submit testimony no later than 12:00 p.m. January 15, 2020.
The agenda with the list of speakers will be posted no later than noon on the day of the hearing at http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/boe/meetings/.
Due to inclement weather, this schedule could change, so please check our website.
Written testimony should be sent to email@example.com, faxed to 301-279-3860, or delivered to the Board of Education Office at 850 Hungerford Drive, Suite 123, Rockville, MD 20850. The written testimony must include the date on which the speaker will be testifying. If testimony is not provided as noted in the schedule above, speakers are requested to bring 20 copies of their statement to the hearing for distribution to the Board, staff, and press.
The Board of Education is interested in hearing from as many people as possible during the hearings and would like to avoid assigning anyone to a waitlist. With that in mind, here are a few suggestions for those who wish to express their collective advocacy for a particular viewpoint:
- Instead of multiple people signing up to provide the same message, consider having a spokesperson or two sign up for the hearings and having others stand up during the spokesperson’s testimony to demonstrate collective agreement/support for the testimony.
- Some students may want to testify but may not use the entire time allotted. Consider registering two students for one testimony slot and share the three minutes.
- If you are not able to attend a hearing or are placed on a waitlist, consider emailing your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails sent to this address are automatically distributed to all Board members and select staff members.
Hearings, Work Session, and Board Action
The schedule for Board of Education review, public hearings, and action on the Operating Budget is as follows:
- December 18, 2019 – superintendent released recommended Operating Budget.
- January 13, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. – the Board will hold a public hearing on the Operating Budget.
- January 15, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. – the Board will hold a public hearing on the Operating Budget.
- January 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. – the Board will hold a work session on the Operating Budget.
- January 28, 2020, at 12:30 p.m. – the Board will hold a work session on the Operating Budget.
- February 10, 2020, at its regular Board business meeting – the Board will take tentative action on the recommended Operating Budget.
The schedule for providing testimony on the Operating Budget is as follows:
- December 19, 2019, at 9:00 a.m., sign-ups begin online for individuals wishing to testify about the Operating Budget.
- January 9, 2020, at 9:00 a.m., sign-ups ceased for January 13, 2020, hearing; please submit testimony for that hearing by 12:00 p.m. on January 13.
- January 13, 2020, at 9:00 a.m., sign-ups cease for January 15, 2020, hearing; please submit testimony for that hearing by 12:00 p.m. on January 15.
What is an Appropriate Subject for Public Comments?
This is not the proper avenue to address specific student or employee matters, especially those matters on appeal to the Board. Comments about the actions or statements of individual staff members are not appropriate for Public Comments and should be referred to the Superintendent of Schools or processed through available channels.
If testimony is not provided in advance, speakers are requested to provide 20 copies of their written testimony for distribution to Board members, staff, and the press.
The Board of Education schedules public hearings on issues it determines to be of widespread interest and concern. A quorum of the Board is not required to be present for a hearing to be conducted. In addition to special public hearings, the Board holds hearings on its strategic plan, annual operating budget, proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP), and school boundaries. Hearings for the proposed capital budget and CIP and/or boundaries are governed by Board Policy FAA, Long-Range Educational Facilities Planning.
General guidelines for public hearings are as follows:
- The subject, date, and opportunities for signup for a public hearing are typically publicized through the Board’s customary communications channels. Unless otherwise stated in the hearing notice, signups generally begin three weeks prior to the hearing date.
- The agenda for the hearing is closed when the maximum number of speakers is registered or at the close of business the day before the hearing.
- The following time limits for testimony apply to public hearings, unless otherwise specified by the Board in the hearing notice:
- Organizations*/Municipalities/Elected Officials: 5 minutes (*Organizations include: Montgomery County Regional Student Government Association/Montgomery County Junior Councils, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Parents Council, community organizations, MCCPTA, clusters, and the unions.)
- Individuals: 3 minutes
A person calling to speak, other than a cluster coordinator or area vice president, may reserve only one space. Only one speaker will be registered for any organization, unless the Board provides otherwise. Individuals and organizations may not cede time to others who have signed up. Elected officials are given the courtesy of being placed on the agenda at the time of their choice.
Speakers are requested to provide 20 copies of their statement at the hearing, for distribution to the Board, staff, and press. Speakers are encouraged to submit their testimony to the Board of Education office at least 24 hours in advance of the hearing.
You do not need to sign up to attend and observe the hearings. All hearings are broadcast live on Comcast Channel 34, Verizon FIOS Channel 36, and RCN Channel 89. Please contact the Board Office at 240-740-3030 if interpreter services are needed.
The agenda with the list of speakers will be posted by noon on the day of the hearing. Please check the Board’s website at http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/boe/meetings/.
Written testimony should be sent to email@example.com, faxed to 301-279-3860, or delivered to the Board of Education Office at 850 Hungerford Drive, Suite 123, Rockville, MD 20850. Written testimonies must include the date on which the speaker will be testifying. If testimony is not provided as noted in the schedule above, speakers are requested to bring 20 copies of their statement to the hearing for distribution to the Board, staff, and the press.
Additional information about public hearings may be found in the Board of Education Handbook