- ➡️ Please contact event organizers and/or venues prior to attendance for possible ‘event attendance’ limitations, safety/protection requirements, date changes or cancellations due to the COVID-19/coronavirus pandemic.
- ➡️ Events listed are primarily for adults and/or teens. Please review event descriptions or contact event organizers for audience details.
- ➡️ Maryland schools and buildings will remain closed through the rest of the 2019-2020 academic school year. Events that were scheduled at MCPS schools and buildings will either be postponed or cancelled.
- ➡️ ‘Virtual’ Events are events that will be held ONLINE ONLY. Check event details for access information. Note: Some virtual events start at different coast or international times (Pacific, Central, Greenwich Mean, etc.). The virtual event times listed on this website have been converted to New York/Eastern Standard Time.
- This event has passed.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2020: Various Sites (Montgomery County Volunteer Services)
January 20 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER!
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?”
Planning is still underway for the 2020 MLK Day of Service in Montgomery County. Keep an eye on this page, we’ll be adding more information soon.
✅ ALL LOCATIONS REQUIRE SIGN-UP IN ADVANCE. ‘CLICK’ ON THE LOCATION LINKS BELOW FOR DETAILS!.
NORTH BETHESDA (MAIN SITE): Monday, January 20, 1-3 pm
Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, 5701 Marinelli Road
- Service Projects: Participants will be able to choose from a great variety of projects benefiting organizations that serve a variety of community needs, from hunger to services to veterans.
- Volunteer Fair: Representatives from multiple nonprofits and government agencies will have representatives on hand to discuss their organizations’ missions and year-round volunteer opportunities.
FYI: Small Things Matter is hosting a table at the event . The non-profit will have an eco-friendly toiletry bag event that will benefit Shepherd’s Table, Interfaith Works, and the Children’s Inn at NIH and invite Blair HS students to join us. Small Things Matter is a 501(3)c nonprofit that runs Kokua Foods, Books for Bedtime, and Crafting for Charity….all of our programs benefit students at TPMS, TPES, RTES, PBES, and Blair HS. Difference Makers food distribution is part of Kokua Foods and we also have been providing food to several Blair students and their families with our Kokua Foods distributions at Hampshire Tower Apartments. STM also paid for the setup of the Blair Food Pantry that Blair DM runs.
GAITHERSBURG SITE: Monday, January 20, 9-11 am
Seneca Creek Community Church, 13 Firstfield Road
Hosted by Seneca Creek, partnering with City of Gaithersburg
GERMANTOWN SITE : Monday, January 20, 1-3 pm
Journey’s Crossing, 12900 Cloverleaf Center Drive
Hosted by Journey’s Crossing, partnering with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Xi Sigma Omega Chapter
OLNEY SITE : Monday, January 20, 11 am – 1 pm
Shaare Tefila Congregation, 16620 Georgia Ave., Olney
Hosted by MedStar Montgomery Medical Center and the Greater Olney Interfaith Clergy Association, coordinated by Leadership Montgomery CVC
SILVER SPRING SITE: Monday, January 20, 10 am -1 pm
Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Plaza, Silver Spring
Hosted by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Montgomery County Alumnae Chapter
And there are MORE! Check the Calendar of Volunteer Opportunities for January to see what’s happening for that weekend and on MLK Day.